News & Press
|Feb 09, 2012||
Performance Health Announces 2012 Scientific Advisory Board Appointments
Performance Health Announces 2012 Scientific Advisory Board Appointments International board adds to the body of research supporting Thera-Band and Biofreeze products.
Akron, Ohio – February 9, 2012 – The fifteen individuals appointed to the Thera-Band®
Academy’s 2012 Scientific Advisory Board, known as TRAC, exemplify diversity in both disciplines and cultures representing six countries and expertise in physical therapy, chiropractic, medicine, occupational therapy, athletic training and massage therapy.
Phil Page, PhD, PT, ATC, Director of Thera-Band Academy, said, “I’m very proud of the
distinguished group we’ve built with TRAC. This is our fourteenth year of collaborative research projects that help clinicians make evidence-informed decisions when using Thera-Band and Biofreeze® products. It’s amazing to have such as diverse group make this one-year commitment to work together to contribute to this body of knowledge.”
2012 Scientific Advisory Board Members:
• Lars L. Andersen, PhD, National Research Centre for the Working Environment, Copenhagen, Denmark
• Ashish Babhulkar, MD, Deenanath Mangeshkar Hospital, Pune, India
• David Behm, PhD, Memorial University of Newfoundland, St. Johns, Newfoundland, Canada
• Barton N. Bishop, DPT, Sport & Spine Rehab / Sport & Spine Athletics, Rockville, MD, USA
• Juan Carlos Colado, PhD, University of Valencia, Valencia, Spain
• Todd S. Ellenbecker, DPT, Physiotherapy Associates, Scottsdale, AZ, USA
• Jeff Forman, PhD, NCTMB, De Anza College, Cupertino, CA, USA
• Jay Greenstein, DC, Sport & Spine Rehab / Sport & Spine Athletics, Fort Washington, MD, USA
• Andre Labbe, PT, A&K Physical Therapy, New Orleans, LA, USA
• Michael Rogers, PhD, Wichita State University, Wichita, KS, USA
• Mary Sanders, PhD, University of Nevada School of Medicine, Reno, NV, USA
• Robert Topp, PhD, RN, Marquette University, College of Nursing, Milwaukee, WI, USA
• Pamela E. Toto, PhD, OTR/L, Occupational Therapy Consultant, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
• Timothy Tyler, PT, MS, ATC, Pro Sports PT, Scarsdale, NY, USA
• Leo Y.L. Wang, PT, MPH, PhDc, Dept. of Rehabilitation Medicine of First Affiliated Hospital of Sun Yat-sen University, Guangzhou, China
Dr. Page added, “I believe our research gets better each year and this year is no exception. We’re going to have research presented on the mechanism and effectiveness of Biofreeze as well as clinical outcomes using Thera-Band products.”
The 2012 TRAC agenda includes:
• EMG and biomechanical analysis of Thera-Band exercises
• Effectiveness of therapeutic techniques using Thera-Band and Biofreeze products
• Effectiveness of Biofreeze pain reliever on low back pain, neck/shoulder pain, muscle soreness
• Outcomes of chronic disease exercise programs using Thera-Band products
“It has been a privilege to be a part of TRAC over the past 12 years,” stated Todd S. Ellenbecker, DPT, MS, SCS, OCS, CSCS, Clinic Director, Physiotherapy Associates Scottsdale Sports Clinic and Director of Sports Medicine ATP World Tour. “The opportunity to meet and work with leading experts in the field of rehabilitation and exercise science has led to an enhanced understanding of resistive exercise worldwide. The ability to perform and share rehabilitative research with leaders internationally has been an exciting and wonderful experience. The Performance Health team has a unique desire to ensure that research and an evidence basis underlies their products. I am very happy to be part of the team and look forward to our continued success.”
Robert Topp, PhD, RN, Professor and Associate Dean for Research at Marquette University, College of Nursing added, “I am a founding member of TRAC and I appreciate the collaborative opportunity it provides. My work with TRAC has resulted in numerous research projects involving interdisciplinary and international teams of researchers developing evidence-based clinical protocols that improve the health and functioning of individuals experiencing pain and or functional limitations.
These research projects have resulted in a significant number of peer-reviewed manuscripts and presentations at national and international scientific meetings.”
The findings from these research projects will be presented at the 14th annual TRAC meeting being held July 23-25, 2012 in St. Johns, Newfoundland, Canada.
About the Academy
The Thera-Band® Academy was formed to scientifically document the benefits of resistance exercise and pain relief, guide the company in its development of new product and exercise programs, and to promote therapeutic exercise and pain management through professional and consumer education. The Academy web site, www.Thera-BandAcademy.com, is a unique resource that connects healthcare professionals and consumers to the ever growing body of knowledge on exercise. Registration is free and provides access to the largest database of rehab exercises, protocols, research and education in the world.
About Performance Health
Featuring leading brands like Thera-Band®, Biofreeze® and the new Pedigenix™ Foot Care System, Performance Health offers a broad portfolio of products for the therapy, rehabilitation, wellness, massage, podiatric and performance markets. In addition to market-leading products, Performance Health provides practice building support, evidence-based protocols, clinical and product education, turn-key dispensing and pain management solutions. www.thera-band.com www.biofreeze.com, www.pedigenix.com,
# # #
VIEW A PDF OF THE FULL NEWS ARTICLE: »CLICK HERE